Top News

Cá Cược Thể Thao_cá độ bóng đá trên điện thoại_w88 di dong

Windsor Elementary School saw four teachers and a principal leave at the end of the 1993 school year. They were, from left, Audrey Koncovy, Bev Harvey, principal Doug Fraser, Doris Nichols and Yvonne Brown.
Windsor Elementary School saw four teachers and a principal leave at the end of the 1993 school year. They were, from left, Audrey Koncovy, Bev Harvey, principal Doug Fraser, Doris Nichols and Yvonne Brown. - FILE

WINDSOR, N.S. — Here's a look at what was making the news 25 and 50 years ago in the Hants Journal.

25 years ago (June 30 and July 7, 1993 editions)

• A recount of the election ballots, which saw incumbent Ron Russell defeat Liberal candidate Mike Doyle, did not change the election results by much. Instead of winning by 47 votes, Russell won by 46.

• A 40-foot fishing vessel sank in the Minas Basin near Bramber, claiming the life of one crew member. Two other individuals were rescued by another fishing boat.

• The Town of Windsor reported it ran a $15,751 deficit for the 1992/1993 fiscal year.

Jeff's Irving in Falmouth held its first anniversary celebration in June 1993. Hotdogs and hamburgers were served during the celebrations, with the food

• The Mantua bridge replacement project was put on hold by the new Liberal government in Halifax. A communications officer told the Journal that projects that had not been started were put on hold until the government could complete its first budget.

• The Pisiquid Aquatic Club was letting their concerns be heard after learning that the Department of Agriculture was proposing to drain the lake in August to make repairs to the causeway dam. The club operates until the end of August and were planning to host paddling championships.

In a follow up story, it was noted that the repairs to a corroded steal seal in one of the sluice gates would take three days.

• Pumpkin King Howard Dill was flown to New York for a few days to tape an interview. He was to be part of PBS's Reading Rainbow television show, which was hosted by LeVar Burton. The segment featuring Dill was set to air in October 1993.

• A song and dance ensemble from northern Russia visited the Windsor Country Fair. The troupe was in Halifax performing with the Nova Scotia International Tattoo. The Journal noted that more Russians were seeing the outside world without defecting thanks to glasnost in the old Soviet Union. The Russian sailors didn't speak English but the newspaper reported “they seemed to enjoy themselves.”

• Les Reid, the owner of Shoppers Drug Mart in Windsor, spoke to the newspaper following the store's closure. He said there were too many drug stores in town and said he felt there were still too many given the population.

• Hantsport's annual Canada Day celebrations were highlighted in the newspaper, and it was noted that the parade had 53 entries.

Members of the Avondale Youth Loop Group, from left, Dawson Sheehy, Yoland Lake, Elesha Lake and Dan Sheehy, were ready to compete in the 1993 soap box derby at the annual Wharf Day celebrations.

• Doug Fraser, the principal of Windsor Elementary School, was appointed to the position of assistant superintendent of schools. Fraser began his career in 1970 in Hants North Rural High School, served as an acting principal and then principal of Brooklyn District School in the early 80s and in 1985, became principal of WES.

• Four teachers were retiring from Windsor Elementary School: Audrey Koncovy, Bev Harvey, Doris Nichols and Yvonne Brown.

• Grade 12 Windsor Regional High School student Matthew MacKeeman, 17, was selected to portray Sam Slick throughout the summer months.

• The 1993 Longest Day of Golf, held at the Avon Valley Golf and Country Club, raised $4,000 for the Canadian Cancer Society. The fundraiser saw Barry Hunter, Mark Tracey, Hal Fletcher and Maurice Digdon play from dawn to dusk, representing 110 holes.

• Jeff Williams, of Ellershouse, was in the hospital recovering from appendicitis when graduation rolled around. Hants West Rural High School principal Murray Sandell brought Williams his certificate in the hospital.

• Hantsport resident Warren Tompkins retired from Minas Basin Pulp and Power Company Limited after 42 years of service. He was employed as a security officer.

Madame Zabearra (Bonnie O'Leary) read teddy bear paws in order to get a glimpse into their future during the 1993 Teddy Bear Jamboree. Pictured with her is Amber Sanford, of Three Mile Plains.

Alvin, Simon and Theodore visited the Windsor Country Fair and were swarmed by fans. The Chipmunks were still quite popular in 1993. Pictured here, from left, are: Simon, with Sarah Payzant; Alvin, with Jordan Hashem; and Theodore (sitting in front) with Kelsey Fleet.

50 years ago (June 26, and July 3, 1968 editions)

• Josephine O'Brien, Colin Taylor, and Harold Crowell were named honorary life members of Family and Children's Services in recognition of their long service to the agency in Hants County.

• Mrs. William Giles retired as a teacher at Windsor Elementary School after spending 40 years teaching – 39 of which were as a Grade 2 teacher in Windsor.

• Progressive Conservative J. Pat Nowlan was re-elected as the MP for the Annapolis Valley. Federally, Pierre Elliott Trudeau's Liberal government was re-elected with a majority in the House of Commons.

• T. Eaton Company announced its new catalogue sales office was opening on Gerrish Street in Windsor.

Opening day specials included free ballpoint pens to the first 150 customers, purse-size pack of hand lotion for women, candy for children accompanied by parents, coffee and doughnuts served all day and a special draw for a three-piece set of matching luggage.

Among the sales were wringer washers for $134.95, and a two-piece chesterfield suite for $179.95.

In 1993, Matthew MacKeeman, of Windsor, was ready to portray Sam Slick at various functions throughout the summer months.

• The King Brothers Circus was coming to Windsor. One of the main attractions was the troupe of go-go elephants, which was under the direction of trainer Heide Cole.

• The Windsor Community Track Club won second place in the team standings at the annual track and field meet in Chester. Among the highlights from the meet were Diane Powell winning the women's open cup and Bob Dill placing second in the midget class.

• The Imperial Theatre in Windsor was showing several must-see flicks, including Three Bites of the Apple, Voodoo Island, which starred Boris Karloff, A Stranger In Town, the comedy The Travelling Saleslady, the true story of The Great Sioux Massacre, and Dear John, which was described as “an unabashed look at real-life sex.”

• In the Hants History column dating back to 1943, it was noted that bootleggers were “doing a thriving business in Windsor.” In sad news, a Hudson bomber, which was based at the Pennfield Ridge airport, exploded over Summerville. Four crew members – one Canadian, one Australian, and two New Zealanders – were killed.

In news from 1918, Windsor resident Wilbert Slack was set to appear in a motion picture featuring Alice Joyce.

In wartime news from 1918, former Windsor resident Harold W. McElhiney was killed in action with the U.S. Forces.

A song and dance ensemble from northern Russia visited the Windsor Country Fair in 1993. The group of sailors were performing with the Nova Scotia International Tattoo. Pictured here with two sailors is Joan Whitehead, who was working at the Ye Old Tourist Shoppe at the country fair.

Recent Stories