Top News

w88 wap_w88vn/sport_cá cược thể thao hợp pháp

Debbie Robertson (nee Slaunwhite) is the chairperson for the 50-year reunion being planned for Windsor Regional High School alumni this summer. She's looking forward to reconnecting with old chums and remembering those who have since passed away.
Debbie Robertson (nee Slaunwhite) is the chairperson for the 50-year reunion being planned for Windsor Regional High School alumni this summer. She's looking forward to reconnecting with old chums and remembering those who have since passed away. - Carole Morris-Underhill

HANTS COUNTY, N.S. — Students who attended Windsor Regional High School between 1964 and 1971 are being invited to take a stroll down memory lane.

This August, the former students and staff of the old school will gather at the Royal Canadian Legion in Windsor for a special 50-year reunion.

Debbie Robertson (nee Slaunwhite) is the chairwoman of the 10-person committee that has been tirelessly planning the celebrations. Already, 100 people are registered, but Robertson is hoping to see upwards of 150 by the time the event rolls around.

Planning began a year ago, said Robertson, who was part of the class of 1968.

“One of the things we talked about was who we would invite. Our graduating class had 80-plus people. Not a whole lot. And then we realized we went to school with a whole lot of young people that did not finish school, that did not graduate,” she said.

“At that time, in 1968, you could go to university with Grade 11, so some did. Some went to vocational school. Some moved away. Some had to quit school to go to work.”

In order to better capture the high school years, Robertson said the organizers opted to open the reunion up to include anyone who attended Windsor Regional High School between 1964 and 1971, as well as any former teachers or staff at that time.

“There has been some confusion as of late as to exactly who is invited, so I just want to make it clear that if you went to Windsor Regional High School for one day — it doesn't matter if you graduated — you are invited,” she said.

Registration for the event costs $30 and can be done online via e-transfer or by printing off the registration form and sending in a cheque.

The event will take place Aug. 4. From 6-8 p.m., there will be a meet and greet. Following that, there will be a special in memoriam ceremony.

“We have established a memory board and we're going to put all of the names of the students that are no longer with us,” Robertson noted.

There will be a slideshow created for the special event that will run throughout the evening and Robertson is hoping people will submit photos.

Former classmates will also be treated to a special reunion of the high school band, the Fourth Dimension, which hasn’t played together since the late 1960s. The band consists of Paul Delany, Butch Sheehy, Ron Connors and Brian Taylor.

The evening will conclude with a dance, allowing the alumni the chance to bust a move to taped tunes from the 1950s and 1960s until midnight.

“Our theme is: reunited and it feels so good,” said Robertson, smiling.

She’s looking forward to the special anniversary.

“It's going to be a wonderful opportunity for us all to get together,” said Robertson, noting guests are coming from across Canada and from as far away as Sweden.

“We're all going to have name tags on because I doubt we will be able to recognize each other after 50 years.”

Robertson said the committee is looking for volunteers to help decorate for the event at the legion venue Aug. 3 at noon.

The organizing committee has also created a WRHS alumni memorial bursary fund to be given to two Avon View High School graduates. Robertson said support for the bursary, which is being administered through the Windsor and Area Education Fund Association, is open to any Windsor Regional alumni. She hopes the bursary will continue well into the future.

“It's really from the whole alumni,” said Robertson.

“Anyone who went to the regional can contribute to this and they are part of this. We're hopeful this this will continue for years to come.”

Carole.Morris-Underhill@ tỷ lệ kèo bóng đá trực tuyến www.discoverynetlease.com

The committee

The Windsor Regional High School Reunion 2018 planning committee consists of:

Debbie Robertson (nee Slaunwhite)

Cathy Wieclawski (nee Akin)

Dianna Johnson (nee Kilcup)

Jill Jeddrie (nee Delany)

Bev Lake (nee Smeltzer)

Verlie Wile

Jim Pemberton

Marilyn Pemberton

David Ripley

Tom Wieclawski

Get in touch

To learn more about the upcoming reunion or to register or submit photos; to volunteer to decorate; or to contribute to the bursary, visit: http://wrhs2018.ca, email info@wrhs2018.ca, or visit the Facebook page called WRHS Class of 68 Reunion. Printed registration forms are also available at T.A.N. Coffee in Windsor.

Recent Stories